Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Beware of this Telephone Scam

A reader has forwarded the following message. Do verify the authenticiy of this message independently.

90# on your telephone

I dialed '0' and asked the operator who confirmed that this was correct
so please pass it on . . (l also checked out Snopes.com..this is true,
and also applies to cell phones!)

PASS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW

I received a telephone call last evening from an individual identifying
himself as an AT&T Service Technician (could also be Telus) who was
conducting a test on the telephone lines. He stated that to complete the
test I should touch nine(9), zero(0), the pound sign (#), and then hang
up. Luckily, I was suspicious and refused.
=0 A
Upon contacting the telephone company, I was informed that by pushing
90#, y ou give the requesting individual full access to your telephone
line, which enables them to place long distance calls billed to your
home phone number.

I was further informed that this scam has been originating from many local jails/prisons

DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE.

The GTE Security Department requested that I share this information with
EVERYONE I KNOW.

After checking with Verizon they also said it was true, so do not dial
90# for anyone

No comments:

Post a Comment